Friday, February 19, 2010

Jean-Robert vs. Relish

I have to admit, I don't know everything about this situation. Mostly just what the papers tell me and a few friends in the business who have had the pleasure of working in their restaurants tell me. That having been said, I offer these thoughts... purely opinion and not rooted in fact: I've found that in the last year there has been an approach from some parties entangled in this dispute that has nothing to do with good business, and more to do with personal vindictiveness. I understand there was an issue, but if I was an adviser to the Relish group, I don't think I'd have them fighting battles like non-competes. For one thing, it tells the whole world, "We're not as good as he is. We don't think our restaurants or employees can compete with him." Do you think that little of your establishments and their staffs? Do you have to try and swab a technicality to keep him shut down because you're afraid he's going to put one of your restaurants out of business? Or, do you just hate him so much, that you're willing to ruin the reputation that your restaurant group has in the efforts to punish him? Seems like the last ditch effort of a schoolyard bully, not a savvy business man.
Then there's the other side. What if Jean-Robert was such a terrible individual to partner with, that it is personal. What if this soap-opera is all just an attempt at payback for terrible things he did over the course of the last eight years? That's possible. However, when I'm out and about on the town, I notice that JR is all over the place with thousands of well-wishers, friends and family who would do anything for him. I know he was the face of the franchise, and that does put a coat of salve on some indiscretions that may have occurred, but that many people can't be wrong. Can they? I know one thing, if Jean-Robert is getting advice from people about his situation, they're obviously better at what they do than the Relish advisers.
Again, I'm not choosing sides. I don't have a favorite pony in the race. I'm just observing from afar. Far enough away at least that I can say it shouldn't be personal for either of them. What's best for this town is for both of them to succeed and win. What's best for anyone (including the 2 people who'll read this) is that all of their efforts not go in vain. We have a gigantic food culture in this town. I know that sounds odd to some, but it's true. Cincinnati has long been a home to foodies and restaurateurs going back to the 70's when we had three 5-star restaurants out of seven in the country. Think about that. Even today, we have chef owned restaurants that absolutely bring it like Hugo, Boca, Nada, Sung Korean and on and on. We have Senate opening it's doors, Terry's Turf Club getting national attention, Vitor's on the westside and even roving burrito and taco trucks that rock our world. We can love and support both JR & Relish. I mean we're busting our chops trying to revitalize downtown and Over-the-Rhine and we get someone starting a cat fight with his neighbor? Gateway Quarter needs Lavomatic to SUCCEED! Not try to compete with Senate by doing what they're not good at. They need to do what they do and do it really well and SUCCEED! Jean-Robert needs to open his restaurant and do the same. This city needs their help and we're all getting screwed because they can't handle this properly. I say, "them," but in reality we know who's at fault here. JR just wants to cook again. He doesn't want to be a powerful restaurateur. He doesn't want ten restaurants all over town. He wants to do what he does best. Relish, I don't know what they're doing. Changing concepts, changing hours of operation. It reminds me of that old saying, "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." Well, they need to find someone who knows how to be a restaurateur and make Jeanro, Lavomatic, Chalk, etc. viable, wonderful establishments again. If not, they'll go away, and the Wade's will own empty buildings downtown with prime locations. They'll try and rip-off anyone who wants to buy them to open a dream, or their leases will be so exorbitant, that nobody could survive. Come on people. We need them both, and we need them both to do the right thing. I know JR will. The pressure's on now. He's opening a new restaurant on his own. A virtual shoe-string budget. He won't have million-dollar china and silver dinner service. He's doing this with passion, sweat & love. This will be his "family business." Relish has deep pockets. They can do whatever they want. So, why is it then whenever given a choice to do something, they always seem to make the wrong decision? I don't know. So much potential. My prediction. JR's Table open for business long after the Relish group has closed their doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment